A midsize regional US bank with over 40 branch locations.
Challenge: Ensure security of bank operations networks and enable regular data backup to offsite storage.
Solution: OPDS-100 data diodes deployed in conjunction with existing software firewall.
Benefits: One-way data flow ensures bank operations network is secure from external cyber threats. Data diodes allow one-way transfer of trusted files to offsite backup.
The bank required timely and secure backups of their systems to ensure business continuity. However, the security of software firewalls used to protect the bank’s network connections became a significant concern. The remote backup sites located in the cloud and on 3rd party networks exposed the network to far too much risk. The bank needed a more secure way to allow backup files to be sent offsite without creating a possible threat vector into the bank.
- Remove outside connections into the bank operations network, so that the bank cannot be breached by external cyber threats
- Permit regular scheduled backups to be sent securelyfrom the bank operations network to remote storage sites
Use Case | Before
OPDS-100 was selected to eliminate remote access to the bank operations network and enable deterministic, one-way data transfer of transaction and customer data to remote backup.
Use Case | After
Owl Perimeter Defense Solution – 100 (OPDS-100)
Self-contained 1U data diode, purpose-built for network segmentation and deterministic, one-way data transfer.
- Secure, hardware-enforced boundary created around the bank operations network
- Data diodes eliminated all inbound connections to bank operations while providing deterministic outbound flow of trusted backup data
- Bank operations network cannot be accessed through any outside network connection
- Business continuity maintained through highly-controlled one-way data flow to offsite backup