Major regional water/waste water authority serving over 800,000 customers.
Challenge: Company recognized need to improve cybersecurity posture, following guidance from DHS, while retaining business continuity.
Solution: OPDS-100 data diodes deployed to transfer reporting & alarming information and provide remote HMI screen replication.
Benefits: Deterministic, one-way data flow secured OT network from outside influence or attack, and enabled real-time, remote HMI screen monitoring at HQ.
In accordance with Department of Homeland Security (DHS) guidance issued in the paper, “Seven Strategies to Defend Industrial Control Systems,” the company created a cybersecurity plan to reduce the surface area of their operational technology (OT) networks and create a more defensible environment.
- Change security policy and only execute command and control operations from within the OT/plant network boundary
- Implement a “disconnected” (segmented) cybersecurity architecture to eliminate all remote access to the OT/plant network.
- Maintain business continuity through remote-only monitoring policies
- Enable Human Machine Interface (HMI) screen replication at HQ
Use Case | Before
Owl data diodes utilizing patented technology (OPDS-100) was selected to remove remote access to the OT network and provide effective network segmentation, and deterministic, one-way data transfer out of OT network. Along with OV2S application, this provided remote system monitoring, transfer of operational reports and a means to replicate HMI screens at remote locations.
Use Case | After
Owl Perimeter Defense Solution – 100 (OPDS-100)
Self-contained 1U data diode, purpose-built for network segmentation and deterministic, one-way data transfer.
Owl Virtiual ScreenView Service (OV2S)
Specialized software developed specifically for secure replication and transfer of OSIsoft® PI System historian data across network boundaries.
- Improved security according to DHS strategies for defending industrial control systems
- Removed all inbound communications to OT networks while providing deterministic outbound data flow for monitoring and business continuity
- Enabled HMI screen replication for real-time offsite monitoring
- Allowed remote access to operations reports and alarms at HQ