A nuclear power plant with over 35,000 megawatt generating capacity.
Industry: Nuclear Power Generation
Challenge: Company needed a way to keep the OT secure from external cyber threats while allowing video surveillance and alarm data to be sent offsite.
Solution: OPDS-1000 data diodes deployed at OT network perimeter.
Benefits: OT network secured from external influence or attack. Video surveillance and alarm monitoring data made available to remote monitoring centers.
A nuclear power facility needed to establish and enforce both an electronic and physical security perimeter around the plant. This meant that in addition to preventing external access to the operational technology (OT) network, they also required that all video surveillance and alarm data be available at remote monitoring centers 24/7 for physical security. The company needed a way to keep the operational network secure from external cyber threats while also allowing the surveillance and alarm data to be sent offsite.
- Clearly define network segments and eliminate all connections to critical OT systems from external networks
- Enable one-way data flow from OT network to corporate-based monitoring centers
- Transfer video surveillance and alarms data to remote monitoring centers for physical security
Use Case | Before
OPDS-1000 was selected to prevent remote access to the OT network, provide effective network segmentation, and enable deterministic, one-way data transfer. Video surveillance and alarms data transferred to corporate remote monitoring centers.
Use Case | After
Owl Perimeter Defense Solution – 1000 (OPDS-1000)
Self-contained 1U data diode, purpose-built for network segmentation and deterministic, one-way data transfer up to 1 Gbps.
- Enabled 24/7 remote video surveillance and alarms monitoring to maintain physical security of facility
- Provided deterministic outbound flow of remote video surveillance and alarms data to corporate IT network
- Improved cybersecurity, removing all inbound threats to OT networks